Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Effingham, IL, 1981, Sartorialist Style...

I was scrolling through The Sartorialist today... (http://www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com/) and the vintage photos he does reminded me of this old photo that my sister dug up for Mother's Day on Facebook.


There was some Facebook debate over what town this was, but my mom remembered it was Effingham and knew what street she was standing on and what direction she was facing. Mom is 16 or 17 in this photo.

When I was a young teenager and I first saw this photo, I liked it because I got a kick out of the idea that my mom, despite her sometime protests about our spaghetti straps, had in fact once worn a tank top, in public, with her shoulders and collar bone showing. (By the time I was 13 or so,  I had no memory of her ever wearing anything that showed sternum or carried risk of bra strap exposure, despite her being still approximately the same size she was in 1981.)

No comments: